Thursday, November 23, 2006

Quit or commit?

Don't know how you feel, but if I undertake to do a project of sorts, I like to remain loyal and committed. Even thought the project may prove tiresome and tiedious, and the thought of quitting enters my head, I percevere to remain committed.

I've been working with children aged between 10 and 13. These children have been taking part in rehersals for a play that I wrote, a play that is due to feature on the 30 November. There have been many pass through who have not committed to practice times, which has been dealt with as other aspiring actors have taken over. No harsh feelings from them or I have been adopted, as I understand, it was not their calling, they just had to try it to find out for themselves.

However, being a parent, I have struggled to achieve my goals with these children. They are aware that I am not on the teaching staff and therefore have no real authority over them, wow, have they taken advantage.

So, today was one week before the production. I had a teacher move in to assist me. She could not believe how disruptive they were and that many had not learnt their scripts. In so doing, she made new rehersal times to fit in with her agenda. Unfortunately for the children, this interferred with many of their end of year parties, which caused tears and frustration. During this there was one in particular that made his emotions loud and clear, "I am quitting." My calm reaction, "that's ok, we will find a replacement." I was disappointed but what could I do, he made a choice and I had to accept it. Maybe he will regret his decision, but the show must go on and replacing him was a necessary requirement.

This brings me to commitments that I make with God. Commitments that have sometimes caused much stress on me and those around me. And yes, I have gone before God and told Him I want to quit. But His reaction is not the same as ours. He would never tell me it's ok, that He can replace me. Rather, He allows us to behave badly and then waits for us to come crawling back. I know I do, after I realise that actually, my initial commitment to Him was what counted, not the desires of my own heart. How awesome to know that we have a God that will NEVER replace us. (of course this is not an invitation to abuse His loving kindness.)

Knowing God and walking close to Him, has taught me more about commitment and the loyalty that goes hand in hand. He has taught me to respect my commitments, that to commit and then quit is just not on. Within His power, we can achieve instead of leave.

Titus 1: 3
"but has in due time manifested His word through preaching, which was committed to me according to the commandment of God our Savior."

No comments: